Sunday, July 7, 2013

Gardens By The Bay Singapore

          So today's post is going to be about my trip to Gardens by the Bay in Singapore. The day after the wedding my new cousin's family invited us to a tour of the gardens and then dinner at their house. I had a lot of pictures of the wedding and gate crashing (which was really fun, and I'd never done it before), but I decided that the photos were too intimate. I'd also lamented that I'd have to go through each picture blocking out faces, so yay! I can be lazy.

  
Here's a picture of the bay. Recently in the news, there have been a lot of fires in nearby countries which have been causing a haze.

 
Better shot of just the Ferris wheel

   
Cool looking alligator/crocodile sculpture. How do you identify the difference? I only know that alligators live in fresh water and Crocodiles are more likely to live in marshes and swamps...?

  
Some native masks

  
The ticketing counter had a really cool roof. The colors remind me of my favorite blanket back home :).

  
This was the Sands resort. Another cousin's family stayed there. The top layer has a huge pool and lounging area. My new cousin had explained that they had problems building it because all three parts were separate until they had to put them together. Like most large structures, there's a large margin of error, so it was problematic to do so.

 
This is one of the Super Trees. A few of them had walkways attached to them, and you could ride an elevator to the top. Admission was about $5 USD. I didn't get a chance to go up, but apparently it was really windy up there. I really wanted to go, but we didn't have enough time. I really wanted to feel the breeze since it was so hot that day.

  
A better shot of a solitary Super Tree with the flower dome in the background. At night, they turn on the lights for a spectacular display.

  
Another shot of the sands hotel.

  
On the left is "Uncle Happy" and to the right is my dad. We got to listen to an audio tour in English that brought us around, explaining different gardens.

  
A lot of the gardens were themed by country/region and they had accompanying sculptures that matched their area of origin.

  
They had a cool rock garden as well.

  
Baby Sculpture. By Mark Quinn and apparently called "Planet". This is apparently a 10 meter sculpture of his own son made in 2008. It is made of bronze and steel.

  
Baby Sculpture with the Singaporean city line. What really amazed me was how the entire thing was being held up and balanced with only the hand touching the ground. That's some serious planning and welding going on there.

  
A shrubbery

  
This one reminded me of Slowpoke.

  
I had to take a picture of this, since the gigantic ants really freaked me out.

  
This was a cool walkway featuring flowers as we were exiting/entering the flower dome. To the right is dear Seastar and Future-Brother-In-Law.

  
This is the roof of the flower dome. I thought it was really cool. You can see my dad adjusting his hair to take a photo.

 
A cool tree featured in the dome.


Aaaaaaand I'll stop here since Picasa freaked out and only let me import pictures up to here.

Part 2 can be read here.

Posted by Picasa

Gardens By The Bay:  18 Marina Gardens Drive Singapore 018953.  Tel:+65 6420 6848
http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment